TFF Press Info #108
THE MILITARISATION OF THE EUROPEAN UNION: HUMPTY-DUMPTY AS PEACE-MAKER
By Jan Oberg, TFF director
This PressInfo deals with
1) Some reflections on conflict management in the 1990s.
2) The EU crisis management organisation.
3) The civilian dimension which is clearly underdeveloped.
4) Why is there no co-ordination with the OSCE and the UN?
5) Future EU's dependence on the United States and NATO.
6) Formal membership is irrelevant and so are the words "European
EU-NATO co-operation was pushed through in Nice, with no similar
function vis-a-vis the OSCE and the UN. Indeed, if the EU's endeavour
were mainly civilian, it would be natural to discuss its fundamental
relation to and co-operation with the OSCE, the existing civilian
European security organisation.
"Judging from EU documents and plans, the EU does not want to draw
any self-critical conclusions from the conflict-management in the
1990s. Some reasons seem to be that they are incompatible with
traditional concepts of power (power is power over someone else, not
over ourselves), they do not have "sex appeal" for careerists, they
won't make the EU a new world super power or satisfy the
military-industrial complex. They are also quite incompatible with
male thinking in general and male elite thinking in particular..."
Go straight to PressInfo 108
© TFF 2000