D. 27.11.2010 fra Fra Jørgen Johansen, WRI
Til Alle organisationer og deres medlemmer:
SIGN-ON and FACTSHEET on Militarism and Climate Change inden 8.dec. til klimatopmødet
We need your organizations (in any country) to sign on by Dec 8 to this War/Climate change statement, to be delivered to the UN climate talks, IPCC, the White House, the media. http://www.climatesos.org/2010/11/resolution-war-climate/
(please send organization – including country, contact name, title and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org)
A handy factsheet is prepared to help you educate anyone who needs convincing that there can be no solution to the climate crisis without stopping the US-led wars and military aggression, and no escaping from the prospect of widespread warfare and human misery without stopping the climate catastrophe. It’s time to break the cycle and end the death spiral!
Please sign on to the statement, forward both the statement and the factsheet as widely as possible (to anyone who is concerned with planetary survival, social/economical/political/environmental justice, etc.), make use of these materials in your outreach to the public, to activists, and to the media, and finally, be sure to mark your calender for an exciting antiwar event the weekend of April 9, 2011 (and get the word out on that, too). All this is also mentioned in the above two links.
The sign-on statement is pasted below.
Maggie Zhou, Ph.D.
· The US Military and their allies, through their imperial wars and military actions (overt and covert) around the world, has inflicted massive suffering and civilian casualties.
· The US Military is the largest single source of greenhouse gas emissions on the planet, yet these emissions are exempted from reporting requirements.
· Access to more oil, the burning of which is fundamental cause of climate change - is the primary underlying motive for current wars.
· Both warfare and climate change are rendering large areas uninhabitable - displacing millions of people as refugees, and yet the rights of immigrants are increasingly limited, threatened and abused.
· Climate change is likely to result in far more wars, being a “threat multiplier” and now recognized as the greatest looming threat to "security". Access to resources – including land, food, water – is already becoming increasingly challenging, and scarcities will likely trigger conflict and further displacement in the future.
· The US Military is also the largest source of toxic chemical and radioactive poisoning of peoples and environment around the globe, and plays a major role in promoting false solutions that only worsen the problems (biofuels, nuclear technologies, climate geoengineering etc)
· The US and global economy is in shambles, funding for a "fair and just transition" – to ensure that people are not negatively impacted by the necessary transitions, is not forthcoming, “green” jobs remain scarce, millions lack access to basic healthcare.
· The US has lead the efforts by developed countries in stymieing progress among nations, consistently refusing to pay their “ecological debt”, owed to non-industrialized countries and their peoples… All while spending trillions on furthering wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan and elsewhere.
· Our global commons (air, water, forests) is being bought and sold in carbon markets under the guise that this is the ONLY feasible means of generating funds to take necessary actions to prevent and adapt to impacts of climate change. The result is further concentration of wealth and power, at the expense of the planet.
We will not accept the death spiral of militarism, war and climate change. It is time to break the cycle! In Cancun and beyond, we Demand:
1. An end to oil and resource wars, and reinstatement of diplomacy and respect over use of force in all foreign relations
2. Troops brought home, military bases abroad closed down and cleaned up, those on US soil dramatically reduced and cleaned up.
3. Redirection of the vast majority of military funding to fund human services, ensure decent quality of life, payment of ecological and climate debt, and compensation to countries and peoples damaged by US militarism.
4. Dismantling of the military-industrial complex. Corporations stripped of personhood. Clean elections mandated.
5. IPCC to create an urgent special report on military emissions, both direct and indirect (e.g., ecosystem damage and desertification due to military activities). No reporting exemptions by powerful countries.
6. Urgent implementation of "real” as opposed to “false” solutions, to end the use of fossil fuels, and restore and protect public and environmental health.
Cellullar: +46 761481011
Some of my present engagements:
Resistance Studies Magazine, http://rsmag.org/
The Transnational Foundation, www.transnational.org
Syracuse University, Strasbourg, France, http://suabroad.syr.edu/programs/location/strasbourg/
Transcend Peace University, Global, http://tpu.transcend.org/
European Peace University, Austria, www.epu.ac.at
World Peace Academy, Switzerland www.world-peace-academy.ch/
Centre for Peace and Reconciliation Studies, Coventry University, UK, www.coventry.ac.uk/peacestudy
Networkers SouthNorth, http://www.networkers.org/
Videresendt med opfordring til alle partier foreninger og organisationer om at skrive under da der hidtil har været en horribel mangel på vilje til at se sammenhængen mellem militarisme og klimaforværring - alene af den grund bør alle i Danmark skrive under for at sætte sammenhængen på alle de bekymredes klimapolitiske dagsorden
- og vi har jo valgt vores politiske repræsentanter for at de skal turde gå foran og vise vejen til at komme ud af militarismens, krigens og klimaforværringens dødsspiral
Altså bed dit parti og dine foreninger/organisationer om at skrive under som organisation på
http://www.climatesos.org/2010/11/resolution-war-climate/ - og det haster da der skal underskrives inden 8. december 2010
- og videresend gerne dette til andre medlemmer af dine organisationer
Tilbage til forsiden